Andy Budd is a blogger in the UK. He recently shared his "take" on Blogging in Government (Dec. 8, 2005). Here are Budd's key findings:
- …weblogs were great for internal communication and a way of cutting down the huge weight of email most large companies are drowning in.
- …weblogs were essentially free (or very cheap), lightweight and disposable content management systems.
- …blogs could be used for internal knowledge management, by encouraging key staff to blog their collective knowledge rather than keeping it locked up.
- …benefits of blogging to management ... how staff blogs could help managers know what was going on in their organisation. Conversely, it would also let staff know what their manager was doing.
- …governments could use external blogs to connect with the people they served. An external blog could really help demystify the workings of government, while at the same time creating a sense of empathy and trust.
Read "the rest of the story" for Budd's advice on prudent use and managment of blogs and bloggers: